Have you ever watched someone paint live during a worship service? Because I AM DOING THAT. My church is trying a new thing where we incorporate arts into worship – we even started a committee in order to make it happen! This is our first foray. The pastors are preaching a five-part series on Psalm 23 for Lent. I have sketched out an image that represents the psalm, and am painting a bit of it at each service, in line with the topic of the day. It will go like this:
- The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
- He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.
- Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff-they comfort me.
- You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows
- Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.
Week 1 went well! This canvas is MASSIVE; I’m actually going to have to shift it onto the floor so I can reach the top. And maybe buy some larger paintbrushes. Stay tuned to see the painting’s progress!
You can watch me paint during worship the next four Sundays by checking out Highland Presbyterian Church’s YouTube page, where the live videos will start on Sunday at 11am.